Richard Sexton is a noted New Orleans photographer, photography teacher at the Academy, and the author or co-author/photographer of the following books:
- New Roads and Old Rivers: Louisiana's Historic Pointe Coupee Parish (2012)
- Destrehan: The Man, The House, The Legacy (2009)
- Terra Incognita: Photographs of America's Third Coast (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2007).
- Rosemary Beach (Gretna, LA: Pelican Publishing, 2007).
- Gardens of New Orleans: Exquisite Excess (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2000).
- Vestiges of Grandeur: the Plantations of Louisiana's River Road (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1999).
- Parallel Utopias: The Quest for Community, the Sea Ranch, California / Seaside, Florida (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1995).
- New Orleans: Elegance and Decadence (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1993).
- In the Victorian Style (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1991).
- The Cottage Book (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1989).
- American Style: Classic Product Design from Airstream to Zippo (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1987).
In April 2014 he will release Creole World, a book and exhibition sponsored by the Historic New Orleans Collection, examining connections between New Orleans, Central and South America, and the Caribbean.
His photographs have been exhibited at numerous museums, including the Ogden Museum of Southern Art; the Walter Anderson Museum of Art in Ocean Springs, Mississippi; the South Arkansas Arts Center in El Dorado, Arkansas; and the Julien Poydras Museum and Arts Center in New Roads, Louisiana. Sexton's work is included in the collections of the New Orleans Museum of Art, the Ogden Museum of Southern Art and the Historic New Orleans Collection and has been published in Archetype, Harper's, Louisiana Cultural Vistas, Photographer's Forum, and View Camera magazines, among many others.
Richard Sexton is the 2014 recipient of the Michael P. Smith Award for Documentary Photography from the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities.
(click on the link below to see course description and pre-requisites)