Instructor: Gus Hoffman
Prerequisites: Beginning Oil Paintingor equivalent
With the light moving and changing so quickly, how can I paint a single leaf, let alone an entire tree? How can I realistically paint that cloud when it keeps moving so fast?
Welcome to the exciting and challenging world of outdoor painting!
This class will focus on developing a comprehensive approach towards landscape painting. Some of the fundamental concepts covered will be:
- what to bring into the field (and what not to)
- how to set up your palette
- Understanding the fleeting nature of outdoor light
- simplification of massing
- value divisions within the landscape
- the basics of mixing color
- finding compositions within nature
Class will be organized around painting exercises designed to enhance students' understanding of the above concepts. Each week we will also do a close reading of one landscape painting from a Master Artist. Students will be encouraged to think critically about these paintings as a source of inspiration and guidance within their own practice.
Click HERE for a list of supplies required for this class.