Instructor: L Jeffrey Andrews
Prerequisites: Introduction to Watercolor or equivalent
This course is a continuation of Intro to Watercolor, and is also open to students who have experience working with watercolor and are looking to take their practice to the next level. Students who have worked with gouache but not strictly watercolor should begin with Intro to Watercolor.
The goal of this course is to provide students with a comprehensive approach to starting and completing a watercolor painting. Class will begin with a quick review of the techniques covered in Intro to Watercolor. From there, students will put these techniques to practice by painting from still life setups and photographs.
Through a series of structured exercises (such as timed and limited palette paintings) and open-ended painting sessions, students will both advance their skill set and learn how to create a finished piece. We will cover the following topics:
1) Review of basic watercolor techniques
2) Building form with transparent layers
3) Creating a consistent value world
4) Working with a limited palette
5) Matching the colors you see
6) Working within a time limit
7) Finishing a painting (or knowing when to stop)
8) Studying the Masters
Click HERE for a list of supplies required for this class.