List of Supplies
Life Drawing and Portrait Drawing
1. 18 x 24" Strathmore Pastel Paper, textured finish-400 Series/Best, assorted tints
No other pastel paper, as this has a particular texture good for vine charcoal
2. Soft Vine Charcoal or Willow Charcoal
Medium size sticks and a large stick. Make sure it is not hard vine, but soft.
3. Vine Charcoal Holder 7"
Richeson Tools (not a pencil holder)
4. A Kneaded Eraser
5. two to three Large Bulldog Clips (or 'bankers' clasps')
6. 11 x 14" Strathmore Black Hardbound Sketchbook
For demos, notes during lectures and requisite homework diary.
7. Two 6B Charcoal Pencils & Two 4B Charcoal Pencils
8. One Pitt Pastel # 188 Pencil or Other Sanguine-Colored Pastel Pencil
9. New Pencil Sharpener
with casing or ziploc bag for shavings
10. Pen or Pencil for taking notes
11. Paper Towel (not cloth, shammy or kleenex)
12. Carol will provide a sighting stick for use in class, but at home you can use a chopstick, skewer, knitting needle etc. , anything longer than a charcoal pencil.
Please do not bring a large box of other supplies to class.
You can find these supplies at:
National Art and Hobby, 5835 Magazine Street (15% discount for NOAFA students)
David Art, 3020 N. Arnoult, Metairie
Lessons in Classical Drawing, Juliette Aristides (ISBN 978-0-8230-0659-5)
Classical Drawing Atelier - A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice, Juliette Aristides
The Art Spirit, Robert Henri
any book by Robert Beverly Hale/Cole
any book by George Bridgman